D3 said they 'streamlined' events, what do you think?

Options
We’ve made some updates to the events themselves too, streamlining them. We’ve standardized sub-event lengths to be 24 or 48 hours, combined sub-events in places where two were running concurrently, and standardized rewards across sub-events.

Now that we've had a taste of 1(technically 2, Ultron) new, 'streamlined' event(s), what do you think of D3's new nodes?

Are you satisfied with the scaling? nodes? rewards? Length? Powered up chars?

It's pretty obvious while 'streamlining' them, they also "rebalanced"(Notice the quotes icon_e_wink.gif) them, as well. Are you satisfied with the balance?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Scaling - NO. No. Oh, and NO.
    Nodes - See scaling, but the refresh length is at least somewhat manageable while still living a fairly normal life, so there's that.
    Rewards - I'm still a 2*-3* transitioner, so overall yes, but it would be great for me personally to see a slowing in the seemingly endless "best new thing ever" march.
    Length - Meh? Haven't been playing seriously long enough to know the difference. Progression seems to match length, so no complaints here.
    Powered up characters - In general? OK. Requiring long abandoned (remember, I'm still running 2*s exclusively) characters? A big NOPE.

Still not loving the constant march of PvEs, PvPs, new characters, etc., but I'm willing to say it has more to do with my precise position in the game overall than any larger overarching thing.

DBC
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm still keeping my powder dry on progression rewards, but there does seem to have been some improvement.

Scaling I won't be satisfied with until community scaling dies a horrible, flamey death. There is no reason why I should be scaled out of a node for no reason other than that the community hit it hard while I was at work, or asleep, or otherwise occupied, and so by the time I show up, I have 3x250 villains waiting to bash my brains in before I've ever played it. That isn't fun.
  • Unknown
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:
    I'm still keeping my powder dry on progression rewards, but there does seem to have been some improvement.

Scaling I won't be satisfied with until community scaling dies a horrible, flamey death. There is no reason why I should be scaled out of a node for no reason other than that the community hit it hard while I was at work, or asleep, or otherwise occupied, and so by the time I show up, I have 3x250 villains waiting to bash my brains in before I've ever played it. That isn't fun.

OMG, this^. How many times... [insert profanity here]

I love going into a node, and almost hearing it asking me, "What, you don't have a roster full of leveled and covered 3*s and 4*s?"

Uhm, no. No I don't.

DBC
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Options
    I'm a 2-3 transitioner. I'd say : so far, so good with a few yet very important caveats :

- community scaling should disapear. To be "out-communitied" of a node is a very disheartening feeling, a game should make players enthusiastic not depressed.

- i'm not a fan of the 7 day PVE events, but should they continue to do them then they should rework progression rewards. If they're twice as long as the others then you should be able to earn twice as much through progression rewards. It's also not very fun to hit the final reward whithin the first 3-4 days and continue grinding for nothing except keep your rank and your alliance's up. A longer ladder with more stuff, like let's be crazy 2 different 3*, dare I say one 3* in the middle and one 4* at the end to help with this so called 3-4 transition thus far limited to hitting 1000 in PVP, would go a long way to make them feel like they are worth our time.

I'd love a one day break between PVE. Having to hit your PVE round everyday on a regular schedule(only one time slice is compatible with my real life engagements) feels a bit too much like something called work and a game should never aspire to elicit such impressions.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I think streamlined just means everything now ends in 24H increments and that all the rewards are consistent so it's not like you got Iso 8 Brotherhood for some HP pinata while some other events you walk away with a lot less HP for the same effort.

It seems like they double downed on scaling (it's going up even faster now) but it's got an interesting effect so far as going double down on scaling indeed kills off the ability to grind. What happens is each game on the hard nodes matter way more than before because nobody's going to be able to grind too many times. I think EotS kind of inflated the grind because survival nodes are actually very easy once you get the hang of them. They could be level 395 on all waves and most of the time it's just not that bad because you get the first 20-50 turns to setup whatever you need for an infinite lock agains the first 3 goons (think there was exactly one survival node that didn't start with 3 goons). In Hell's Kitchen where there are no survival nodes I noticed my bracket (and mine)'s score crashed spectcularly compared to the previous near perfect grinds and I expect to that to be the norm.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lee T wrote:
    I'm a 2-3 transitioner. I'd say : so far, so good with a few yet very important caveats :

- community scaling should disapear. To be "out-communitied" of a node is a very disheartening feeling, a game should make players enthusiastic not depressed.

- i'm not a fan of the 7 day PVE events, but should they continue to do them then they should rework progression rewards. If they're twice as long as the others then you should be able to earn twice as much through progression rewards. It's also not very fun to hit the final reward whithin the first 3-4 days and continue grinding for nothing except keep your rank and your alliance's up. A longer ladder with more stuff, like let's be crazy 2 different 3*, dare I say one 3* in the middle and one 4* at the end to help with this so called 3-4 transition thus far limited to hitting 1000 in PVP, would go a long way to make them feel like they are worth our time.

I'd love a one day break between PVE. Having to hit your PVE round everyday on a regular schedule(only one time slice is compatible with my real life engagements) feels a bit too much like something called work and a game should never aspire to elicit such impressions.
    As I said at the beginning of the year, I think 7 day PVEs should all reward a cover at the end, like Hulk or Sentry.
  • Unknown
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    As I said at the beginning of the year, I think 7 day PVEs should all reward a cover at the end, like Hulk or Sentry.

You do get that via the progression. Now whether that cover is set at a reasonable amount for the masses is beyond me, since my perspective is quite useless here (haven't missed it in a very long, long time).
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

You do get that via the progression. Now whether that cover is set at a reasonable amount for the masses is beyond me, since my perspective is quite useless here (haven't missed it in a very long, long time).
    phantron, u know what I mean. Hulk rewards an EVENT cover and a PROGRESSION cover, sans other prizes, as does Sentry.

It would be a good cap to end a long event to award a cover.
  • Unknown
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

phantron, u know what I mean. Hulk rewards an EVENT cover and a PROGRESSION cover, sans other prizes, as does Sentry.

Why would they want to give away 2 3* covers easily for no reason? It'd be pretty cool, but I'm not seeing an incentive to do that.

Maybe it'd be a good idea to have 2 3* on progression for a 7 day event since the 3/4 day version should have a 3* progression as well and the 7 day is basically twice as long.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

Thing is, those events always give away the *same* cover in that special node. Nothing much to be gained after the 5th time, if you even want to have 5 of that cover.
  • Unknown
    Options
    They butchered Hero Points from Alliance and personal finish. Coupled with massive increased rate of new characters as well as forcing to gather all 2*s makes it harder and harder for me to believe devs are making changes for the good of the game... When they acknowledged problem with roster slots seems like they meant that they aren't punishing enough. The HP reward change pretty much negates what DDQ could give on average too.
  • Unknown
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

Thing is, those events always give away the *same* cover in that special node. Nothing much to be gained after the 5th time, if you even want to have 5 of that cover.
    Okay, who's fault is that? D3 could easily fix that.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Now that we've had a taste of 1(technically 2, Ultron) new, 'streamlined' event(s), what do you think of D3's new nodes?
    All I can say is that I don't like the way they "streamlined" the HP rank awards...
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ok D3 streamlined Dark Avengers Heroic:

-multiple nodes that make you use your own characters to get into a sub event aren't fun, take it out plz

-2 nodes where Hood is fed yellow? Are you kidding?
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't dislike the streamlined PVE so far. Thick as Thieves was much better to play than the last time it ran. Heroics suck so I skip them out of habit. They could streamline them right out of the events queue altogether and I'd be happy.
  • SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I agree that 7 day events deserve to be re-looked at relative to awards. Here is my biggest problem with 7 day events:

You get 4-5 days into a 7 day event and get burnt out or have an emergency arise. So, you end up feeling tremendous pressure to keep finding ways to play because of the "all or nothing" aspect of the end rewards and all the time/effort you have invested. Players feeling "pushed" to play or otherwise playing when they don't really want to play is the surest way to burn those players out and make them want to quit.

Missing a couple of days of play at the end of a 7 day event and falling to 2* cover land after 5 days of Top 10/50 play sucks. I think rewards should be more incremental throughout these long events so that, for some example, if a player plays the first 3 days of the event at a high level, the player can perhaps earn one of the end covers, either through progression or sub rewards.

For a match-3 game that really seems to want to reach a larger, more mainstream, more casual market, I think players really need the ability to drop in and out of events and earn a worthwhile reward in a much shorter timeframe than 7 days.

There is also the practical problem with 7 day events that they are nearly twice as long as the 3/4 day events but offer the same rewards as those events, meaning the rewards are effectively 50% for the length of the event.
  • Unknown
    Options
    SymmeTrey wrote:
    I agree that 7 day events deserve to be re-looked at relative to awards. Here is my biggest problem with 7 day events:

You get 4-5 days into a 7 day event and get burnt out or have an emergency arise. So, you end up feeling tremendous pressure to keep finding ways to play because of the "all or nothing" aspect of the end rewards and all the time/effort you have invested. Players feeling "pushed" to play or otherwise playing when they don't really want to play is the surest way to burn those players out and make them want to quit.

Missing a couple of days of play at the end of a 7 day event and falling to 2* cover land after 5 days of Top 10/50 play sucks. I think rewards should be more incremental throughout these long events so that, for some example, if a player plays the first 3 days of the event at a high level, the player can perhaps earn one of the end covers, either through progression or sub rewards.

For a match-3 game that really seems to want to reach a larger, more mainstream, more casual market, I think players really need the ability to drop in and out of events and earn a worthwhile reward in a much shorter timeframe than 7 days.

There is also the practical problem with 7 day events that they are nearly twice as long as the 3/4 day events but offer the same rewards as those events, meaning the rewards are effectively 50% for the length of the event.
    This is exactly why I said a 7 day event should ALWAYS have a node/reward with a 3* character(Or 100+ HP/5000 + ISO). That way, even if you peter out of an event, you're rewarded.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    ok D3 streamlined Dark Avengers Heroic:

-multiple nodes that make you use your own characters to get into a sub event aren't fun, take it out plz

-2 nodes where Hood is fed yellow? Are you kidding?

For once, i am not having any issues with hood at all. I think super OBW is the reason, he is going down extremely fast right now.

Getaway plan is the one i can't seem to do.. all characters are level 190+, the highest i have that i can use is 150 (not evening thinking of bringing IW lvl 160 with 1 blueflag.png and nothing else into that mess).

I even tried my DPD team, OBW, Thor, Marvel.. daken gets a blue off with a couple tiles out, and its over.. any suggestions?
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I really like that the subs are all just 24 hours. They don't get boring, and when doing my final clear before the end of them, there are still rewards to be gotten on the nodes. Overall I think this is a good direction.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    D3 said they 'streamlined' events, what do you think?

I'll let you know once I can join one without having the client crash...

I guess you could call that a fairly succesfull attempt at streamlining the game though; any event is bound to end in sucking the hitpoints out of your characters anyway. Might as well cut out the middle man and just crash the game to take that chunk out of your characters' life instantly, right?