OBW Critical Tiles explode in mid-air (and now Mystique)

Options
scottee
scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
I didn't see a thread on the first several pages, so thought I'd put this up so it eventually gets addressed.

When a team has OBW on their team and create a crit tile through a match-5, the crit tile will check to see if it can make a match before falling. One of the devs has commented that all tiles, including crits, should finish falling before they check if there are any matches.

I'm pretty sure this has been in the game so long that players think it's intended. But I remember the dev not even knowing this existed. It's probably somewhere in the Espionage coding.

If there's another thread on this, sorry. But it hasn't been fixed in forever.

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This was pointed out to Demiurge_Will in a thread at one point, and he said they'd look into it.
  • I remember it being mentioned before too and the dev responding it. I'm not 100% sure but I've seen it happen with other chars in play. It might be more complex a bug than initially thought.
  • El_Dude
    El_Dude Posts: 53
    Options
    See this frequently.

I think when I've seen it, it's when the opponent is downed as the result of a cascade that creates a crit tile. Rather than applying to the next enemy in line, the crit tile just seems to explode without damaging an enemy.

Ive also seen where sometimes the crit tile makes a match where it's created but sometimes it neglects a match and cascades down. I can't identify a rhyme or reason for how the game applies crit matches.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BTW, this happens with Mystique also. I would guess that whoever created the Mystique files, duplicated OBW's files and then edited. They both have the crit exploding in midair bug.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is an old bug that was fixed, but that seems to be back again. Hopefully they'll get it worked out again.
  • El_Dude wrote:
    See this frequently.

I think when I've seen it, it's when the opponent is downed as the result of a cascade that creates a crit tile. Rather than applying to the next enemy in line, the crit tile just seems to explode without damaging an enemy.

Ive also seen where sometimes the crit tile makes a match where it's created but sometimes it neglects a match and cascades down. I can't identify a rhyme or reason for how the game applies crit matches.

I see this frequently as well.
  • wuweird
    wuweird Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    Is this ever going to be fixed, or do we just chalk it up to a stealth-nerf?
  • I've seen it happen all the time as well.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wuweird wrote:
    stealth-nerf?
    I don't think those words mean what you think they do.
  • scottee wrote:
    BTW, this happens with Mystique also. I would guess that whoever created the Mystique files, duplicated OBW's files and then edited. They both have the crit exploding in midair bug.

Yep, critical tiles explode in mid air for both OBW and Mystique. I don't know if it was ever fixed, but it's been an issue for almost a year now.
  • wuweird
    wuweird Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    I don't think those words mean what you think they do.

Stealth (adj): The quality or characteristic of being furtive or covert.
    Nerf (n): To weaken or make less dangerous.

Critical tiles exploding midair without applying correct damage weakens OBW. There's been no public comment on why it only affects a handful of characters or when it will be fixed, which makes it seem that there's no hurry to change it.

What part of that is confusing to you?
  • Cypr3ss
    Cypr3ss Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Have also seen this happen frequently, I am now starting to wonder if D3 actually fix bugs, or just ignore until people stop complaining (publicly). Had a ticket logged with them back on 25th Dec, still haven't heard anything on it. Surely staff are back from the xmas/nye break and working again?

Cypr3ss.
  • DJSquiggy
    DJSquiggy Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Options
    Can confirm this is still happening.

searched the board to see why it happened sometimes and not others, this is the best answer i have found.

it really sucks when you see a good cascade chain that relies on a match 5 and a crit tile only to have the crit tile explode in mid air. it happens so much that i figured it was always supposed to do it until i started watching and saw that it was only sometimes. i guess those times were when i had OBW on my team (shes there a lot)

Thanks for confirming i am not crazy!
  • I use OBW every day in the Daily Deadpool.

I see the critical tiles exploding mid-air every single day.
  • Cypr3ss wrote:
    Have also seen this happen frequently, I am now starting to wonder if D3 actually fix bugs, or just ignore until people stop complaining (publicly). Had a ticket logged with them back on 25th Dec, still haven't heard anything on it. Surely staff are back from the xmas/nye break and working again?

Cypr3ss.

LOL, unanswered ticket from 4 months ago. Good to see MPQ is back to its standard of customer dis-service.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MikeHock wrote:
    Cypr3ss wrote:

Cypr3ss.

LOL, unanswered ticket from 4 months ago. Good to see MPQ is back to its standard of customer dis-service.

Yup. They had a good run there for a while, but it looks like stuff's caving back in on itself again. icon_e_wink.gif
  • FYI, put in a ticket that included this issue last month---after a back-and-forth about it and a review of it on their end, they sent me this updated status: "This was indeed an error, and a fix will be released as soon as possible."
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    MikeHock wrote:

Please note the date of the post - Jan. 17. The ticket in question was handled back in January. Customer Support is operating normally and handling tickets in a relatively speedy manner at the moment.
    If you have an issue that you need assistance with they'd be happy to assist: https://d3publisherofamerica.zendesk.co ... quests/new

Thanks!
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is happening because of OBW's espionage power right? My guess has always been that passive powers (at least some of them) are resolving before allowing tiles to fall. This resolution is probably what is allowing the tile-match test to happen before first allowing the tiles to fall. The event-chaining is probably out of order for these powers.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is happening because of OBW's espionage power right? My guess has always been that passive powers (at least some of them) are resolving before allowing tiles to fall. This resolution is probably what is allowing the tile-match test to happen before first allowing the tiles to fall. The event-chaining is probably out of order for these powers.

Oh, there's a lot of flawed and failing out-of-orderness in tile event handling in general. It's a steaming pile of mess, but most of it are edge cases and they are kind of hard-to-spot in play when the board moves fast. So, you don't get a lot of complaints about them.

There's the matched tiles that do not disappear but become attack tiles when you down Hand Teisatsu opponents.
    There's the fact that countdown tiles can be made to tick down twice in one turn: if one timer procs and shifts the board to move another timer tile further down, that second tile ticks down again.
    There used to be the problem with Ares' Sunder tiles sticking around post-death, because their creation and removal event ran in the wrong order.
    etc.

Probably the only way to actually fix this issue is a grounds-up rewrite of the entire tile handling system into something more sane.

(For the software development aficionados among us: in particular the double tick on countdown tiles is indicative of the fact that the devs are performing a naive 2D array scan over the board for each 'event pass' instead of doing it the proper way and registering each individual tile's events in the proper order in a dedicated event queue.)
This discussion has been closed.