80+ Legendaries

Options
Raffoon
Raffoon Posts: 884
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Opening over 80 Legendary tokens since their introduction has resulted in 3 5 stars for me. The current streak is around 50 tokens opened with no 5*s.

I'm sure this topic will be moved, locked, merged or deleted, but on the off chance it's seen by a developer in the meantime:

Dear Developer,
For creating such a poorly designed system for endgame progression, please accept my sincerest wishes that you step in an enormous dog turd every day for the next year.

Sincerely,
A frustrated, fed-up player, with 715 days and hundreds of dollars spent on the game.

P.S. Try responding to the constructive posts on the forum (not my posts in particular, just any posts with good, constructive ideas), and perhaps it will encourage people to continue posting in that manner.

Edit: You know what? I'm going to just go ahead and spoiler my original post in the terribly unrealistic hope that this won't get deleted and a developer may actually read what the other people have posted in this thread.

It's absurd how out of touch these developers are with their community.

Comments

• leeleeshine
    leeleeshine Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I feel your pain and frustration. I've missed the LT maybe 5 times since it's inception, and have the same amount of 5's as you do. I'm well into my 4 transition so the majority of my opened tokens are duplicates. What's worse is seeing players with rosters barely into the 3 transition with just as many 5's or more than you do. I'm not even hopeful for the r91 update because i don't even think it addresses this issue.
  • Raffoon wrote:
    Opening over 80 Legendary tokens since their introduction has resulted in 3 5 stars for me. The current streak is around 50 tokens opened with no 5*s.

Meanwhile, I've recently opened 8 LT's which yielded me 3x 5*s. icon_e_smile.gif

Rngesus must really hate you.
  • Flare808
    Flare808 Posts: 266
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Deadpooool wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:

Meanwhile, I've recently opened 8 LT's which yielded me 3x 5*s. icon_e_smile.gif

Rngesus must really hate you.

And this is precisely why a luck based system for the sole method to get 5 stars doesn't work (yes, I am ignoring directly buying 5 stars/720 CP is not a valid way to progress either). Prior to this, you could make progress directly as a result of how well you do in events. More progression rewards, high placement guaranteed you a stronger roster than those who placed lower than you.

With the introduction of 5 stars, people like Raffoon and many others I know personally are unable to progress in the game through any measure within their control. You can win every Legendary Token and still end up with very, very few 5 stars to show for it.

4 stars, barring game changers like HB and JG, are largely becoming the 3 stars of the past. They will never see the light of day in your normal play and by the time that they are covered, obsolete.

I have nothing against Deadpooool, rather some envious of his luck, but transitioning to 5 stars should be a function of time/effort, not blind luck.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    We should just give 5*s to everyone.
    Put them in standard tokens too.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Raffoon wrote:

I'm sure this topic will be moved, locked, merged or deleted, but on the off chance it's seen by a developer in the meantime:

Dear Developer,
    For creating such a poorly designed system for endgame progression, please accept my sincerest wishes that you step in an enormous dog turd every day for the next year.

Sincerely,
    A frustrated, fed-up player, with 715 days and hundreds of dollars spent on the game.

P.S. Try responding to the constructive posts on the forum (not my posts in particular, just any posts with good, constructive ideas), and perhaps it will encourage people to continue posting in that manner.

I have 6 legendaries to open, and I am legitimately scared to open them. Last time I opened up four and got 1/4 that I needed, and I just about quit the game right there.

I have only ever gotten 1 5*, an SS, not counting the one from day 7xx (I cant remember the exact number).

Luck based progression can work, but not when legendaries trickle in. For all players to receive a standard average, they need to have a bigger pool of tokens to open.

Like most players, I still don't understand why they skipped 3*+ tokens. icon_question.gif
  • Hayek
    Hayek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Options
    Flare808 wrote:
    And this is precisely why a luck based system for the sole method to get 5 stars doesn't work (yes, I am ignoring directly buying 5 stars/720 CP is not a valid way to progress either). Prior to this, you could make progress directly as a result of how well you do in events. More progression rewards, high placement guaranteed you a stronger roster than those who placed lower than you.

The months of effort to get every LT I could get my hands on only to find well below an average number of 5* sapped the fun out of this game for me. It took me a year's worth of a lot of time/effort to reach top tier. Today I find myself with a "top tier" roster becoming obsolete with the lack of epics and there's nothing I can do about it.

I find that doing DDQ has become a chore and skip it half the time. I hit 1k progression in PvP (when I used to go for 1.3k) for my alliance, but that's a chore too. I never even joined the last 3 character release PvEs (Cho, MM, Venom) when before that I never failed to make top 10. I have managed to get a LT for every 4* DDQ so far, including with a 1/1/2 dino and 1/2/2 x23, but today, I don't even feel like trying for GR.

The only thing keeping me around is the fact that I have a stock pile of 30 LTs waiting for the new feature to be released. Though I'm finding it hard to be hopeful that it will be a meaningful fix to luck based progression, and though I'm already playing Marvel Future Fight and enjoying it a whole lot more, I very much like the people in my alliance and would love a reason to stay.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    For anyone having trouble getting 5*'s, I know this token trick you can try. icon_twisted.gif
  • LLohm
    LLohm Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    I don't know if this will make you feel better but I'm 20/304 and I have dumped high thousands into this game.

Just enjoy the ride as much as you can in the mean time.

Developers, if you're reading, please see how you can help even this for us?

And I've only missed one pve token so far.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    They have to introduce a streak buster.. I threw thousands in the game lately, going from buyers club to buyers clubs with no result.. Im on a 70 lt pulles without a 5* usable (i had a dupe ss though) while i saw others keep getting 5* after 5* with a tenth of what i drew .. They must guarantee a 5* every 20 token (thats still a 5% odd, half of what they advertise).. Like that you know your efforts and your money are not worthless like now.. The frustration is at an all time high everywhere and i cant count the number of high end players ready to leave because of that.. Once again letting rng decides end game is absurd..
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Options
    Sitting on 40+ LT's, holding out hope for the new feature. Nothing worse than watching your 700 day progress washed away by a couple months of bad luck.

Almost 60 of us in a SWGoH chat room if you're looking to pick up something new.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Completely agree with Raffoon and Francky. This is the most ridiculously broken and awful feature I've ever seen in any game. PERIOD.

The morale and positivity surrounding most players in all of my various chats is at an all time low. It has never been a worse time to try to stay relevant or even moderately competetive in this game. Two days ago after breaking down and trying my first buyers club along with opening some hoarded CP and tokens the following occured:

I opened 32 LEGENDARIES and received 0 5* and actually pulled the same 4 4* repeatedly. My first 12 tokens were 7 things and 3 yellow starlords/ 2 red starlords. I messaged CS with a very long and thoughtful request not to be compensated a 5* but to please look into this as it felt extremely unlikely this should happen and I felt ripped off. I engaged in a senseless back and forth getting automated replies and finally a big "F U" followed by a survey request. Nice way to waste my hard earned money.

The worst part? We have given so many constructive and thoughtful ideas to incorporate 5* in a stable and fair way. Like franckys streakbuster method above or Zeeke and my ideas of putting 5* into the daily resupply after day 730. So many other ideas totally ignored with zero feedback from anyone who matters/D3.

Sorry if this sounds angry but...... I think we are all fuming about this. It feels cheap, degrading and a terrible way to treat your loyal customer base.

I'm literally going to just stop typing as I could vent for pages about how disgusting using " luck " to determine your relevance in a competetive game is. Pathetic but thanks to all who read and we feel your pain Raffoon .
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've said it on Line, but I'll repeat it in here:
    How can a development team introduce a rarity tier that totally breaks high end competitive play, when every little bit of progress for high end players is based on competition and having the best roster - and then gate the progress to that rarity tier by full-on blind luck?

I must have opened about 60 LTs and have pulled a grand total of 3 5* covers, one of each char.

The only thing that keeps me going is the high-end cooperative play and cupcake meta in the various truce rooms.

If that ever is gone, for whatever reason, developers and bean counters may be shocked to realize that they just lost their ex-high end players who got pushed out of being competitive due to a 6 months streak of bad pulls from legendary tokens.

But it won't matter I guess, since for every vet that leaves there will always be 5 new players who pay for their roster slot bundles.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And one wonders why some whales resort to using token exploit.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Total of 2 5-star covers here. I feel just as demotivated as you guys. I have pretty much top 4-stars maxed and any more 4-star pulls are not going to make me any stronger at this point. I feel like I'm quickly becoming a secong tier player and even if they dramatically improved 5-star odds tomorrow I would stay in the trench for months while lucky players would just stomp me with their maxed epics before I would have chance to catch up. I think I might just play casually until they give us a reliable way of getting 5-stars.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I currently have 15 dupe 4* covers sitting in my unclaimed pile waiting on the next update. I have opened one useful 4* cover in the last 16 Legendary packs and no 5*

RNGesus can be a PITA sometimes.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Remember when we were told that 5* were going to be unique items that had to be earned and couldn't be whaled by the whales?

Then remember when they added the ability for people to spend tens of thousands of dollars on the game to wales 5* characters?

Yeah good times. Didn't break high end play at all.

My biggest issue with 5* is that the power gap between them and 4* is so much greater than the gap between 3* and 4*. At least some unboosted 3* teams have a decent chance against a maxed 4* team. I've yet to see an unboosted 4* team take a maxed 5* team.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Options
    Echoing that sentiment as my streak went from frustrating to downright absurd. Worst part about it, is that it can get worse - a lot worse - thus sapping any desire to invest because what is the point?

Many good points mentioned here, notably:

1) The amount of useless duplicate 4* is equally absurd. considering how difficult it is to get them to be sitting on the 15th, 16th 4* cover when so many are undercovered is downright maddening. The distribution feels completely broken.
    2) The power gap makes 5* players completely untouchable.
    3) Everything is all about competition and yet the most critical part of the game is luck?

None of it really makes any sense. The only thing crazier than all of the above is that people actually spent thousands. It is the twilight zone.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Remember when we were told that 5* were going to be unique items that had to be earned and couldn't be whaled by the whales?

Then remember when they added the ability for people to spend tens of thousands of dollars on the game to whales 5* characters?

The second part is the major problem. I mean we all know why they put them in the 40 packs, but that was the killer.

I agree with what people have said here, that 5* should be a product of time and effort, and not blind luck. There should be a concrete way to acquire them. Never in any world should they have been included in packs.

But since they are, it absolutely should not be a guaranteed pull, in any way. That also means there should be no 'streak busting,' where you just throw thousands at the game and whale them anyway.

Unfortunately, there is little in the way of a 'time & effort' reward in this game. PvP is full on pay to play (plus total coordination). PvE is a bit closer, but rewards there with the s*** bracketing system has plenty of luck involved as well.

I don't know what the solution is to making the progression more concrete, but it hasn't been presented in this thread yet (or any other thread for that matter), IMO. All I see is some frustration over trying to P2W and not being able to, and having that be completely arbitrary. That does stink, but it at least the first part was the original design.

Edit: One more thought. Command points are close to the idea of getting 5* in a tangible way through effort. But you can buy them (for 20 people no less), so of course they screwed that up too.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would say that you'll eventually get the 5*s that you need, and probably don't spend too much money on it, until they release a more consistent way to get 5*s.

Tokens have always been majorly stingy in providing the covers that we need.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    They have to introduce a streak buster.. I threw thousands in the game lately, going from buyers club to buyers clubs with no result.. Im on a 70 lt pulles without a 5* usable (i had a dupe ss though) while i saw others keep getting 5* after 5* with a tenth of what i drew .. They must guarantee a 5* every 20 token (thats still a 5% odd, half of what they advertise).. Like that you know your efforts and your money are not worthless like now.. The frustration is at an all time high everywhere and i cant count the number of high end players ready to leave because of that.. Once again letting rng decides end game is absurd..

I like this guarantee idea, but I doubt D3 would go for it. For the high spenders who are supporting the game, I would be fine if D3 install a special, manual program where customer service would send you a random 5 star.png cover for every $1,000 (or another high threshold #) spent in the game. What this would do is offer a guaranteed cover no matter how poor your LT luck is.